Baked portobello mushrooms stuffed with cream cheese and topped with caramelized onions.
Number of Servings: 2-3 servings
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $3.75
- 5 portobello mushrooms
- 8 oz of low fat cream cheese
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of canola oil
- 1/2 tsp of coconut palm sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large saute pan heat the olive oil and butter over low-medium heat.
2) Add in the sliced onions, once translucent season with salt and sprinkle the coconut palm sugar to help caramelize the onions.
3) Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, stirring every 2-5 minutes.
4) Once the onions are fully caramelized, remove from the heat and set aside.
5) Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
6) Clean your portobellos with a damp paper towel and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
7) Stuff each portobello with cream cheese, enough to fill to the top, and then smooth with a spoon.
8) Top each portobello with enough caramelized onions to cover the cream cheese.
9) Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper atop each portobello.
10) Bake for 10-12 minutes.
11) Serve and enjoy!