Homemade alfajores, dulce de leche sandwich cookies!!!
Number of Cookie Sandwiches: 8-10 sandwiches
Estimated Cost Per Batch: $4.00
For the dulce de leche...
- 1 quart of whole milk
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the shortbread cookies...
- 1 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- non stick cooking spray
- flour for dusting
1) In a large sauce pan combine the milk, sugar, vanilla extract and baking soda for your dulce de leche.
2) Turn up the heat to low medium and stir the mixture until the sugar completely dissolves.
3) Then turn down the heat to low and cook for 2-3 hours, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from burning.
4) Once the mixture turns to a dark caramel color and has a creamy consistency, turn the heat off, allow it to cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a sealable jar.
5) Place your dulce de leche in the refrigerator while you make your shortbread cookies.
6) In a large bowl combine the corn starch, flour, salt, and baking powder, whisk to combine. Set aside.
7) In your stand mixer cream the sugar, butter, and vanilla extract.
8) Once smooth slowly add in your dry ingredients and continue to stir until you've formed a soft cookie dough.
9) Turn off your stand mixer and pack your dough into a tight ball and cover with plastic, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
10) After an hour pre heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat two baking sheets with non stick cooking spray.
11) Dust your cutting board and rolling pin with flour and then place your dough on the cutting board.
12) Roll out the dough into 1/8 inch thick sheet, cut into rounds using a cookie cutter.
13) Place your cut cookie rounds on the prepared baking sheets about 1/4 of an inch apart.
14) Bake for 15 minutes.
15) Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheets for 20 minutes.
16) For assembly turn half of your cookies over and place about 1 & 1/2 tbsp of dulce de leche on each turned cookie.
17) Using an offset spatula smooth over your dulce de leche on each turned cookie and then top with the other half of your cookie batch.
18) Transfer to your serving dish.
19) Serve and enjoy (preferably with a glass of milk)!