My version of fresh rice paper spring rolls filled with baked BBQ chicken, mango, carrots, cucumber, little gem lettuce, and cilantro!
Number of Rolls: 16 spring rolls
Estimated Cost Per Batch: $9.00
For the Baked BBQ Chicken...
- 5 boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- t tbsp sweet rice wine
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the remaining fillings...
- 1 mango, sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 medium sized carrot, julienned
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 cup cilantro, loose leaf
- 2 little gem lettuces, bottoms cut and leaves separated
- 16 rice paper sheets
For the dipping sauce...
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp sweet rice wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
1) Place the chicken thighs in a sealable plastic storage bag.
2) In small bowl combine the soy sauce, canola oil, sherry vinegar, sweet rice wine, honey, ketchup, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
3) Pour in the marinade in the plastic storage bag with the chicken. Seal and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
4) Once the chicken has marinated, line a baking sheet with foil and pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
5) Layout the chicken flat on the baking sheet along with the marinade and bake for 35 minutes.
6) While the chicken is baking, prepare the remaining fillings.
7) Remove the chicken from the oven and allow the cooked thighs to cool for 10 minutes.
8) Once cooled, slice the chicken into 1/4 inch thick slices and set aside.
9) Mix together your ingredients for the dipping sauce. In a small bowl combine the peanut butter, Sriracha, sherry vinegar, sweet rice wine, and soy sauce, whisk to combine.
10) Prepare your filling station with the chicken, mango, carrots, cucumber, cilantro, and lettuces, along with a large bowl of hot water and a sheet of parchment paper.
11) For assembly one at a time soak a rice paper sheet for 10 seconds and lay flat on the parchment paper. Lay down one leaf of lettuce toward the end of the rice paper sheet closest to you, then top with 4 to 5 strips of chicken, 2 slices of mango, 5-7 strips of cucumber and carrots and 3 to 4 cilantro leaves. Fold the wrapper over the fillings and roll once, then fold the sides of the wrapper and then continue to roll tight until you've reached the end of the wrapper.
12) Repeat for the rest of the rice paper sheets and filling.
13) Serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy!