Braised lamb shank slow cooked in a base of red wine, carrots, onions, garlic, and thyme.
Number of Servings: 1-2 servings
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $8.00
- 1 lamb shank (about 1 lb)
- 2 cups of red wine
- 1 large carrot cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium sized onion, cut in half and then into quarters
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of canola oil
- salt and pepper
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Season lamb shank liberally with salt and pepper.
3) In a saute pan heat canola, then brown the lamb shank and set aside.
4) In a dutch oven (that can hold at least 5 quarts) combine the red wine, carrots, onions, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
5) Within the braising liquid in the dutch oven, create a well that will hold the lamb shank in place at the center. Place the browned lamb shank in this well.
6) Top the lamb shank with the sprigs of thyme.
7) Bake for 3 to 3/12 hours.
8) Remove from oven and make to remove the thyme sprigs before serving.