A short rib ragu slowly braised with red wine, thyme, rosemary, and chicken stock and then reduced with cooked carrots, onions, and garlic.
Number of Servings: 2-3
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $5.50
- 3 medium sized beef short ribs
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme and rosemary
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 of a large onion
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 2 cups of red wine
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of canola oil.
3) Season short ribs with salt and pepper and add to dutch oven.
4) Brown short ribs on all sides for 5 minutes.
5) Add chicken stock, 1 cup of red wine, thyme and rosemary and reduce heat.
6) Cover and remove dutch oven from stove and transfer to oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
7) Chop onion into 1/2 inch pieces and chop carrots into 1/4 inch thick rings.
8) After the short ribs have been cooking for 2 hours, remove the short ribs from the dutch oven and set aside.
9) In a medium sized sauce pan heat the remaining tbsp of canola oil and add onions and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and then reduce heat.
10) Pull apart the meat from the short ribs off the bone and shred with fork. Add meat to sauce pan.
11) Add remaining cup of red wine, tomato paste, and garlic to sauce pan and simmer on low-medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until most of the wine has reduced down. Season with salt and pepper to to taste.
12) Serve over cooked pasta, polenta, or mashed potatoes.