My version of an apple crisp seasoned with a homemade chai spice and topped with an oatmeal streusel.
Number of Servings: 6-8 servings
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $1.75
For the Chai Spice...
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
For the filling...
- 5 Fuji Apples, peeled-quartered-sliced into 1/8 thick slices
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 of the chai spice mix
- non stick cooking spray
For the streusel...
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 6 tbsp sweet unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp chai spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
1) Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Coat a medium sized or 8x8 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
3) Lay out a layer of apples on the baking sheet and lightly coat with a sprinkle of granulated sugar and chai spice.
4) Repeat until you've laid out all the apples and have coated with the granulated sugar and chai spice set aside for the filling. Set aside.
5) Next make your streusel, in a small bowl combine the whole wheat flour, butter, coconut palm sugar, rolled oats, and chai spice.
6) Using your hands blend together the streusel mix until fully combined and the mixture looks like a crumble.
7) Top the apples in your prepared baking dish with the streusel mixture.
8) Bake for 1 hour.
9) Remove from the oven and place the baking dish on a cooling rack and rest for 45 minutes.
10) Serve and enjoy!