Silky chocolate ice cream mixed in with sliced almonds.
(Adapted from the Food Network)
Number of Pints: 2 and 1/2 pints
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $5.00
- 3/4 cup bittersweet cocoa powder
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 and 1/4 cup of coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
1) In a large sauce pan heat half and half and the heavy cream, whisk together.
2) Add in the sliced almonds and once it starts to simmer, lower heat and allow the almonds to steep in the cream mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes.
3) Add in the cocoa powder and whisk to combine.
4) Once the mixture is fully combined and has thickened to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat.
5) Separately in a large bowl whisk together egg yolks, vanilla extract, and coconut palm sugar.
6) Slowly whisk in the heated cream mixture until fully combined.
7) Transfer the entire mixture into a container, cover, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
8) Transfer to the refrigerator and cool for 4-8 hours.
9) Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and stir for 30-40 minutes until it forms into a soft serve.
10) Transfer into an air tight container and freeze for 1-2 hours.
11) Serve and enjoy!