The classic rice krispie treat kicked up a notch with some dulce de leche mixed in for good measure!
Number of treats: 10-12 rice krispie treats
Estimated Cost Per Batch: $3.50
For the dulce de leche...
- 1 quart of whole milk
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the rice krispie treats...
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 7 oz mini marshmallows
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1) In a large sauce pan combine the milk, sugar, vanilla extract and baking soda for your dulce de leche.
2) Turn up the heat to low medium and stir the mixture until the sugar completely dissolves.
3) Then turn down the heat to low and cook for 2-3 hours, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from burning.
4) Once the mixture turns to a dark caramel color and has a creamy consistency, turn the heat off, allow it to cool for 10 minutes, set aside 1/2 cup of dulce de leche for your rice krispie treats, and then transfer the rest to a sealable jar for future treats or to snack on later.
5) In another large sauce pan, melt your butter and marshmallows over low heat.
6) Stir until the marshmallows have completely melted.
7) Then mix in the rice krispie cereal and fold to combine.
8) Turn off the heat and then fold in your dulce de leche.
9) Lightly grease a small baking pan and then spread in your rice krispie treat mixture and smooth out to fill the pan evenly.
10) Cover with parchment paper and cool in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
11) Serve and enjoy!