A simple French Onion Soup with a twist, add chopped carrots to your onion base for a sweet addition to this classic.
Number of Servings: 2
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $3.75
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 oz of low sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 6 French Baguette slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp of shaved parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Chop the onions into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
2) In a large saute pan melt 1 tbsp of butter on medium-high heat.
3) Add onion slices to saute pan and season with salt and pepper.
4) ice carrot into 1/8 thick cubes, add to pan along with the onions and season with salt and pepper.
5) s onions and carrots start to soften lower the heat and add 1 more tbsp of butter, cook for another 10 minutes.
6) In two petite casseroles or 8 oz ramekins add in the onion and carrot mixture evenly.
7) Pour in the beef broth into each casserole or ramekin leaving 1/2 inch space from the top.
8) Place 3 slices of baguette in each casserole or ramekin on top of the soup mixture and then top with shaved and grated parmesan cheese.
9) rind some fresh black pepper on each casserole or ramekin and place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.