Beef stew slow cooked in Guinness beer with mushrooms, onions, and carrots.
Number of Servings: 4
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $4.50
- 1 lb of boneless beef chuck
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 12 cremini mushrooms cut in quarters
- 2 large carrots sliced into 1/4 inch thick cuts
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 (14.9 oz can) of Guinness beer
- 2 cups of low sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp of tomato sauce or tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Trim fat off boneless beef chuck and cut into 1 inch pieces.
2) Season beef with salt and pepper and then sprinkle flour over beef until fully coated.
3) Heat 1 tbsp of canola oil in a large dutch oven on medium heat.
4) Dust off any excess flour from beef and add 1/2 of the meat to dutch oven.
5) Brown beef pieces until lightly browned, remove from dutch oven and set aside.
6) Add remaining 1/2 of the meat to the dutch oven and repeat step #5.
7) Heat remaining tbsp of canola oil and add chopped onions and cook until translucent.
8) Add browned meat back to the dutch oven and add int the tomato sauce or paste, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder and stir until combined.
9) Add in beef broth and Guinness and bring to a boil.
10) Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
11) Uncover and bring to a boil, cook for 45 minutes and stir occasionally.
12) Reduce heat and add in carrots and mushrooms and cook for another 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
13) Serve with your favorite potato dish.