Tender veal shanks slow cooked with chicken broth and white wine, served with mushrooms, carrots, and tomatoes.
Number of Servings: 2-3
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $5.75
- 2 lbs of veal shanks
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 large carrot sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 8 cremini mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 13 oz of chicken broth
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2 large roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 tbsp of canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Season veal shanks with salt and pepper, then coat with flour and shake off any excess.
2) Heat 2 tbsp of canola oil in a large saute pan and add veal shanks.
3) Cook for 10 minutes or until veal shanks are light browned.
4) Heat remaining tbsp of canola oil in dutch oven and add mushrooms, carrots, and tomatoes.
5) Cook for 2 minutes, then add chicken stock and white wine.
6) Season with salt and pepper.
7) Add in browned veal shanks and make sure some of the vegetables cover the meat.
8) Cook for 1.5 hour on low heat.
9) Separate meat from bones and trim fat and serve with mushrooms, carrots and tomato sauce from dutch oven.