Oven-baked fried chicken seasoned with smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground ginger and whole wheat flour and sesame seeds. This healthier version of fried chicken is not only baked, but it's served with a glaze on the side made of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, fresh ginger, garlic, shallots, and chives.
(Adapted from Eating Well)
Number of Servings: 2-3 servings
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $3.00
For the chicken and marinade...
- 1 & 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 chicken legs
- non stick cooking spray
For the breading...
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the soy-sesame dipping sauce...
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1) In a large bowl whisk together the buttermilk, ground mustard, garlic powder, and smoked paprika that was set aside for your marinade.
2) Place your chicken thighs and legs in a freezer safe storage bag and add in the buttermilk marinade.
3) Seal the storage bag and allow the chicken to marinade for 4-8 hours in your refrigerator.
4) Once you're ready to start cooking the chicken, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then place a wire rack on top and lightly coat with non stick cooking spray.
5) Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
6) Now prepare the breading for your chicken. In a large bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, sesame seeds, smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground ginger, salt, black pepper, and baking powder.
7) Remove your chicken from the fridge, next shaking each chicken piece to remove excess marinade, and then coat each chicken piece with your flour mixture.
8) Place your coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet/wire rack. Lightly coat the top of the chicken with non stick cooking spray.
9) Bake for 50 minutes.
10) While your chicken is baking make your dipping sauce.
11) In a small sauce pan heat the toasted sesame oil over low medium heat.
12) Add in the shallots and sweat/cook for 2 minutes.
13) Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
14) Next whisk in the soy sauce, sweet rice wine vinegar, and honey.
15) Then add in the sesame seeds, chives, and black pepper and cook the sauce for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
16) Once you've reached 50 minutes of baking time for the chicken, remove from the oven and transfer to your serving dish along side your dipping sauce.
17) Serve and enjoy!