Umami filled roasted seaweed and turkey meatballs topped with a homemade teriyaki glaze and sprinkled with shichimi.
Number of Meatballs: 12 meatballs
Estimated Cost Per Batch: $5.00
(For the meatballs)
- 3/4 lb ground turkey
- 12 snack size sheets of roasted seaweed (non-flavored), chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp shichimi
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet rice wine
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- non stick cooking spray
(For the teriyaki glaze)
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of water
- 3 tbsp sweet rice wine
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp, garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mix all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl until fully combined.
3) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
4) Lightly grease a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
5) Remove meatball mixture from the refrigerator and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter and place 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
6) Baked for 30 minutes.
7) While the meatballs are baking combine all the ingredients for the teriyaki glaze minus the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water in a small sauce pan.
8) Heat liquid mixture on low-medium heat for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
9) In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water until combined.
10) Add the cornstarch and water mixture to the sauce pan and allow the liquid to simmer for another 10 minutes until it starts to bubble.
11) Using a spoon, check to see that the sauce coats the back of spoon. Once that happens remove the sauce pan from the heat.
12) Remove meatballs from the oven, transfer to a serving platter and top with the teriyaki glaze.
13) Sprinkle on some shichimi on each meatball.
14) Serve and enjoy!