Penne pasta tossed in a fresh walnut parsley pesto.
Number of Servings: 4-6 servings
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $1.75
- 1 bundle of flat leaf or Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp of crushed sea salt
- 6 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups dry penne pasta
- 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1) In a food processor combine the fresh parsley, toasted walnuts, garlic cloves, grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Process until the mixture has formed a thick paste.
2) Slowly add in the olive oil and continue to process until your mixture changes from a thick paste into a more viscous mixture. Set aside.
3) In a large pot, boil 2.5 quartz of water. Once the water begins to boil add in the dried penne pasta and add a pinch of salt and continue to cook under a rolling boil for 6 to 8 minutes.
4) Remove from heat and drain in a colander.
5) In the same pot, add the canola oil and return the cooked pasta.
6) Add in the walnut parsley pesto and toss to coat.
7) Turn up the heat to low and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure that the pesto has coated all the pasta.
8) Remove from heat and top with shredded parmesan cheese.
9) Serve and enjoy!